On Thursday, March 13, 2008, on the recommendation of the NYCDEP, the KHRCC built plywood enclosures around each generator on the huge lights on the sidewalk in front of 3400-26 Cannon Place.
Later that evening one of the generators smoked and went off. A second generator caught on fire and the Fire Department responded. However, the FDNY did not shut off the other enclosed generators or have the enclosures removed. The only light without the enclosure is now having one installed.
These are now proven dangerous conditions existing on Cannon Place and need to be eliminated. It is a mystery why the FDNY is waiting for more fires to occur.
Please call the complaint in to your elected officials ASAP:
• Assembly Member Naomi Rivera, 718-409-0109
• State Senator Efrain Gonzalez, (718) 299-7905
• Council Member G. Oliver Koppell, 718-549-7300
• Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion, General Number 718-590-3500
• Bronx BP Chief of Staff, Karen McGuinness 718-590-3508
• Congressman Eliot Engel, (718) 796-9700
• Community Board 8, 718-884-3959
Ask them what they plan to do. Tell them we expect to see them at the rally tomorrow!
INFO FROM THE INTERNET AS BACKGROUND FOR YOUR PHONE CALL
Build a noise shielding enclosure. This could be as simple as a piece of plywood to reflect sound away from the house to a separate shed to hold the generator. Design your enclosure with safety in mind. Provide adequate air circulation and ventilation to prevent heat buildup and to remove carbon monoxide.